September 24, 2015

Kingston Henry Wick



In all my swollen pregnant glory.
I got my cerclage out at 36 weeks. At this point my doctor thought it would be safe to have my baby anytime he was ready to come. I went into the office and they removed it there. I was nervous because to get it placed was a whole ordeal where I was under anesthesia and couldn't feel a thing. My doctor assured me that it would be quick and not painful. Well, it was quite painful. Not excruciating but by the time he got it out I was pretty ready to get out of there! Everyone was sure I would go into labor any day after that since there was no longer anything holding my cervix shut. The next few days I felt some cramping and felt like something could possibly be going on. I was getting anxious and excited. However at my next doctor's appointment I was only dilated to a 1 and nothing seemed eminent. I started getting nervous because my doctor was going out of town the week before my due date and I really wanted him to deliver my baby since he had seen me through the whole pregnancy. Weeks passed and it was looking like I was actually going to make it past my due date! I was reading everything I could get my hands on about lesser known labor signs and other women's experiences after getting their cerclages removed. It was really starting to feel real and I was letting myself get more and more excited (mind you, I had that dark doubt still looming in the back of my mind).

On July 4, 2015 I kept getting woken up in the wee hours of the morning with contractions. They were definitely stronger than the ones I had been having my whole pregnancy though still not really painful..but still I knew something was definitely going on. By 6:00am they were coming regularly and I could not get myself to fall back asleep. I woke up ate some cereal and snuggled in front of the TV with my doggies while timing the contractions. They were coming every 10 minutes for a couple hours then at 9:00am I realized they were coming every 5 minutes. I called my doctors office and spoke with the doc on call who told me I should probably make my way to the hospital. I went to talk to Rob to wake him up. I said it's time to get ready to go to the hospital! He was sleepy and didn't really understand what I was telling him so it took a while to really wake him up. We both took our time showering, getting dressed, and grabbing our bags. We probably arrived to the hospital around 11:00 am. The nurse checked me and I was still only at 1cm dilated! We walked around the hospital for a while and the nurse checked me again...2cm. Rob decided to go grab himself lunch while I sat and rested for a while. The nurse called the doctor and said that I could go home and labor there in the comfort of my home or stay at the hospital since they have no way of knowing how long it would be. We decided to stay...my sister had really fast labors and I didn't want to end up rushing (since our hospital was about 20 minutes away). The last thing I wanted was to give birth on the side of the road!

Maybe around 3:00pm the doctor (not my doctor, because of course he was out of town until Monday!)  came in introduced herself and we talked game plan. My contractions were unbearable at this point so I received my epidural (lifesaver) and was feeling easy breezy. We decided to start on some pitocin and break my water to get things moving. I was still only about 3cm and 100% effaced at this point. I started feeling a lot of pressure and the doc came to check me and was shocked when she discovered I went from 3cm to 10cm in less than an hour. They had me "labor down" for awhile because 2 other women were having babies at this point and the doc was super busy. The pressure was getting stronger and stronger so the doc finally gave us the okay to start pushing (omg!).


Mommy & Kingston
Less than an hour later at 8:45pm little Kingston Henry Wick was born! 6lbs 9oz and 19 inches long. He had a ton of dark hair, dark blue eyes and wasn't crying at all. Calm as can be they placed him in my arms and I just about died. It was all so surreal. I couldn't and still can't believe I get to be the mom to such a perfect, beautiful boy. My favorite memory from this day was when Rob, about two hours after he was born, asked me (so timidly) "Can I hold him now?" I had been so caught up in the dream and excitement of it all that I hadn't even realized I was totally hogging our new little baby. Rob was so sweet, he was like, "I know you had to carry him the whole time and bonded with him more so I didn't want to interrupt your time together."

Daddy & Kingston
Still to this day it doesn't feel real that I am a mom. I have been entrusted a tiny sweet perfect baby and believe me I know how blessed and lucky I am! I'm trying not to take one second for granted. 





No comments:

Post a Comment